Statement of Purpose: Using the rich musical and artistic heritage of the Anglican tradition, to lead the congregation’s worship of God through the singing of psalms, hymns, and anthems in our services of Holy Eucharist and the Office and to provide for other artistic engagement with the divine.
- For this program to be staffed by a 3⁄4 time Director of Music & Fine Arts who will oversee existing ministries and will also renew those that have gone dormant over the years.
- For our this program to have access to funding from a Music & Fine Arts Endowment, enabling consistent excellence regardless of temporary stresses of financial resources.
- To increase the involvement of our members in ministries of music & fine arts.
- To find ways of incorporating the rich Latino culture of music and art in a new Spanish-language worship service and in other areas of our parish life.
- To organize regular rotating art exhibits in the church, perhaps in a renovated Guild Room designed for that purpose.
Membership: This ministry is overseen by the Rector and his delegated staff member—currently our Interim Director of Music. Together, they oversee the ministry of our volunteer St. Cecilia Choir and St. Benedict’s Ensemble, the SJE Brass, and other musical and artistic experiences at St. John’s.
St. Cecilia Choir • Like us on Facebook!
The St. Cecilia Choir is the adult choir of the church which leads worship at the 10:30 a.m. service September through May. There are approximately 20 singers on the role who rehearse on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. for one hour.The choir sings traditional music that is often accompanied by organ but also with handbells and our brass ensemble. The choir reaches out to the community at Christmas by caroling at various retirement facilities.
St. John’s Brass
St. John’s Brass is comprised of members of the church. We have a full complement of players including trumpets, French horn, trombones and bass trombone. The group is coordinated by John G. Bryson and leads worship by providing service music and accompanying hymns.
St. Benedict’s Ensemble
This small ensemble is focused on leading the sung prayers of the church. Most significantly, they lead Compline by Candlelight every single Sunday during Lent, at 8:30pm. They also assist in the singing of the liturgy for special services.